Do Immunity Boosters Really Work?
Immunity boosters are various vitamins, minerals, and other natural supplements that, when taken regularly, can help support the immune system. While taking immunity boosters can help provide support to the immune system, it is important to remember that it will not guarantee you will not get sick.
However, in most cases, if you do get sick, you will often find your symptoms less severe. The duration of the illness is also typically less compared to someone who wasn’t taking immunity boosters.
Is Vitamin C a Good Immunity Booster?
A fun fact about vitamin C is that the body cannot make or store it. This is why we need to get vitamin C from external sources, including fruits and vegetables and natural supplements.
Vitamin C is an antioxidant, which means it helps strengthen the immune system to fight off infections and diseases by promoting white blood cell production. It also helps protect healthy cells from free radicals. Vitamin C may also help reduce risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, anemia, and dementia.
Does Vitamin C Help When You Are Already Sick?
One common myth some people have when taking vitamin C supplements daily is that it will prevent them from getting a cold or the flu. However, that is not true. As we mentioned previously, you can still get sick, yet the severity of the cold or flu and duration is often much less. So, it is still a good idea for many people to take a vitamin C supplement daily. Consult with your primary care physician if you’re unsure or have questions about adding Vitamin C to your daily routine.
What Other Vitamins and Herbs Boost the Immune System Naturally?
Besides vitamin C, there are several other vitamins and herbs that boost the immune system naturally. These include, but may not be limited to:
- Vitamin B6: This vitamin helps support the biochemical functions in the immune system to keep it working correctly. Vitamin B6 can be found in chickpeas, poultry, fish, and green vegetables.
- Vitamin D: This vitamin not only helps boost immune response but also helps with the absorption of phosphorus and calcium for healthy bones. You can absorb vitamin D naturally by spending about 15-20 minutes in the sun, 3-4 times per week, or by taking a vitamin D supplement.
- Selenium: Selenium is an antioxidant that reduces stress on the immune system to keep it strong while also decreasing inflammation. Selenium is found in whole grains, lean meats, poultry, dairy products, and eggs.
- Zinc: Zinc is another antioxidant that provides several benefits for the body. First, it helps boost immunity. Next, it aids in digestion and reduces the occurrence of indigestion issues while aiding in proper stomach acid production. Zinc is found in red meats, poultry, nuts, and baked beans.
- Vitamin A: Vitamin A helps reduce inflammation and is considered a micronutrient. It also helps improve immune system functioning. Eggs, dairy products, green leafy vegetables, and yellow and orange fruits and vegetables all contain vitamin A.
- Vitamin E: This vitamin is also an antioxidant that can help give the immune system a boost. Most people get plenty of vitamin E from the foods they eat like cereals, green leafy veggies, nuts, seeds, and fruit juices, so they don’t require a daily supplement.
- Folic Acid: Folic acid is a type of B vitamin that contains folate. Folate is necessary for healthy cell functioning in the body, as well as cell repair. As such, it supports the immune system to help it function properly. Broccoli, beets, asparagus, eggs, citrus fruits, brussels sprouts, and leafy green vegetables all contain folic acid.
- Echinacea: This herb is great to take to boost the immune system and to use prophylactically to help reduce the risk of getting sick. It can be taken in supplement form or brewed into a tea.
Do Immunity Boosters Help Reduce the Risk of COVID-19?
Good immunity boosters work best in combination with eating a well-balanced diet that includes fruits and vegetables and taking supplements when needed—like using Cold-Fix prophylactically daily. You should also exercise at least three times a week for 30 minutes and get between seven and nine hours of restful sleep at night.
For further information about Cold-Fix, please feel free to explore our website, contact us by sending us a message, or connect with us through one of our social media sites.