Influenza: Everything You Need to Know About the Flu
The influenza family of viruses caused 900,000 hospitalizations in America during the 2017-2018 flu season, which made last year the worst flu season in four decades. What causes the flu and how can you avoid the symptoms and complications that result in hospitalization?
Supporting a healthy immune system and managing flu symptoms with targeted homeopathic remedies can help you get through this flu season and bounce back faster if you do catch the flu. Let’s start with a clear understanding of how this seasonal infection takes hold.
What Is Influenza?
The medical flu definition is a respiratory infection caused by one of the influenza viruses. These viruses spread seasonally, striking North America between November and April. Often confused with the common cold, the flu lasts longer and is more severe. Depending on the year and how contagious the strain becomes, between 5 and 20% of the population may be affected.
The Three Types of Flu Virus
There are three types of the influenza virus:
- Type A Flu causes the most serious infections and 95% of influenza cases in humans.
- Type B Flu also affects humans. Influenza B symptoms are milder and the virus changes very little from year to year.
- Type C Influenza is most common in domestic birds like ducks, geese, and chickens, but it infects a small number of people each year.
How Is the Influenza Virus Spread?
A strong and healthy immune system may be the best tool for the prevention of influenza. Avoiding those who have the flu is only marginally effective because infected individuals are contagious before they show any symptoms.
To avoid contracting or spreading the flu virus, try these tips:
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Avoid shaking hands during flu season.
- Cover your nose and mouth in your elbow when coughing or sneezing.
- Support your immune system with a healthy diet, natural supplements, and homeopathic remedies.
Do You Have the Flu or a Common Cold?
Flu symptoms in adults are typically much more severe than a common cold and last longer. While a cold may run its course in a few days, the flu lasts 1-2 weeks, and sometimes up to a month. Your doctor can perform a swab test to confirm the diagnosis.
Common Influenza Symptoms
While children may experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, most adults do not. These symptoms are typical signs that you have the flu:
- A burning sensation in the chest
- A dry cough at first, then bringing up phlegm
- A high fever
- A sore throat or runny or stuffy nose
- Persistent aches and pains, especially in the back and legs
- A severe headache
- Extreme fatigue
Seeking Medical Advice for Treatment
Most people can care for themselves at home when they have the flu, but you should obtain the advice of your physician if you have risk factors for complications, or you have any of these warning signs:
- Difficulty breathing
- Bluish skin color
- Fever with a rash
- Confusion or dizziness
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Pain or pressure in the chest or abdomen
- Fever and coughing that get better and then return
Influenza Treatment and Prevention
One of the best influenza treatment options is a homeopathic remedy like Cold-Fix. We have safe formulas for adults and children that can help prevent the flu by supporting immune system function or help reduce the symptoms and duration of the infection.
Whether you are managing flu symptoms and treatment or just want to keep your family healthy this flu season, Cold-Fix works to lessen symptoms, support your body’s natural healing abilities, and help you recover from the draining experience of influenza faster—so have some on hand before the next epidemic strikes!